from the Newsletter of the Welsh Philatelic Society, no.108 - May 2008
AN UNPOPULAR RE-LOCATION
The Bangor Crown office, which had been housed in an imposing
building in Deiniol Road since 1909, closed on 3 April 2008.
It was replaced by a franchise office located in the smaller of two WH Smith shops in the
town's High Street - one of 70 Crown offices similarly transferred (or
scheduled to move) to WH Smith stores throughout the country, and one
of three in Wales. The other two are Caerphilly and Cwmbran.
The counter datestamp in use in the new office appears to conform with a nationwide coding practice with all WH Smith branches having a 'W' as the first of two code letters, followed by A, B, C or D from each of the four counter positions